This is a great dinner! I found this recipe at Liz's Cooking Blog. I will definitely be making this again. I really appreciate it when I'm reading a food blog and recipe ratings are included in the post. I have decided to include my 2 year old's rating of each recipe from now on. I realize that finding meals for children can be tricky- so hopefully this will be helpful to some. I will start including Greta's rating at the end of each post :)
Tortilla and Black Bean Pie
- 4 (10-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (I used about 1/4 c. canned chilies)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces beer, or 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish (I used fresh chives instead)
- 2 1/2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream and salsa, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan, using the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add beans and beer to skillet, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in corn and scallions, and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of springform pan; layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer. Bake until hot and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes. Unmold pie; sprinkle with scallions. To serve, slice into wedges and serve with sour cream and salsa.