Monday, April 26, 2010

Brown Sugar-Sunflower Seed Cookies

Once upon a Monday, I was at the local grocery store and purchased a little green bag of sunflower seed cookies. This was unusual as I usually make my own, but these were on sale and had all natural ingredients…even the packaging was delightful! I brought the cookies home and everyone in the family was in love. They were adorable little petite cookies. They were crunchy, buttery and had a divine brown sugar flavor. We went through the green bag quickly. Since I love to bake, I couldn’t justify buying them again…but I really wanted them! I didn’t have any recipes that were even close to similar, so I went back to the store a few weeks later and purchased one more bag with the intent of making my own copy-cat recipe. We “sampled” them and I formulated a recipe. They weren’t quite right. They needed to be a little smaller, a little more crunchy, and have a few less sunflower seeds. A few months later (last night) I tried again. So, here it is! If you have had those cookies in that cute little green bag…these are pretty close!

Enjoy!

Brown Sugar-Sunflower Seed Cookies

1/2 c. butter

1 c. brown sugar

1 egg

1 t. vanilla

1 1/4 c. flour

3/4 c. oat flour (grind your own from oats in the blender or food processor)

1/2 t. soda

1/4 t. salt

1/3 c. sunflower seeds (I use raw, unsalted)

1/4 c. granulated sugar

1/4 c. brown sugar

Cream butter and 1 c. brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat. Stir in flours, soda and salt. Fold in sunflower seeds.In a small bowl, mix 1/4 c. sugar with 1/4 c. brown sugar. Roll dough into small balls (remember these are petite cookies). Roll each ball in sugar mixture and press down slightly after placed on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for approximately 8 minutes or until golden brown.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not had those, but I have had sunflower raisin cookies and am surprised at how much I love sunflower seeds! That's awesome that you can reverse engineer recipes. Someday I hope to be able to get to that point.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I too want to replicate the petite sunflower cookies in the green bag. My husband loves them. He said, "You could make these, couldn't you?" Well now I can thanks to you!

Marisa said...

These *do* taste just like those little cookies in the green bag! Exactly what I was looking for - well done! And, thanks for sharing!

Phogles said...

You are my hero! My family is addicted to those cute little cookies, but I'm too cheap to buy them. Thank you for cracking the code and sharing your wisdom!

Anonymous said...

Refrigerating the dough for about two hours(while gave daughter bath and put her to bed) really made a difference in the texture--and do go smaller than you think--it also made a difference. Used a spoon to flatten not a glass. Had lots of sugar mix leftover. Also added a few more sunflower seeds. THANKS SO MUCH! I am also one who has long thought I could but only now tried :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I found that making my dough balls one inch in diameter was the perfect size, resulting in cookies that looked almost exactly like the originals.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I actually changed it a little and I think it tastes more like the original. Just wanted to let you know what I did incase you wanted to try it.

I substituted 1 cup instant oats for the oat flower. This will give the cookies the rough texture of the originals. I deleted the salt. With the salt out, it doesn't compete with the sugar, so you can delete the extra sugar from the recipe. Therefore, you don't need to roll the cookies any more in the sugar/brown sugar mixture. I also decreased the sunflower seeds to 1/4 cup. Finally, I increased the cooking time to 10 minutes. That made them more crunchy.

The result was pretty close to perfect.

Hope you don't mind. Thanks for the base recipe. It was VERY helpful.

The Joy of Cooking said...

could this recipe be doubled or tripled and stored in freezer and baked later?