Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dorene's Whole Wheat Bread


My friend Dorene says this is the best bread recipe and she is a wonderful baker/cook so I've been very excited to try it. But, once I had all of the ingredients in the bread machine, I quickly realized that my bread machine had died! Kitchen Aid to the rescue! I think that making this bread with the mixer actually was a shortcut. I made one small change to the ingredients which is noted before, and I've seen a recipe almost identical to this one that uses milk (at room temperature) in place of the water, so I think I'll try that next time. This bread is perfect for sandwiches. The crust is delightfully crusty and the middle is soft, but dense!
Dorene's Whole Wheat Bread
1 1/4 c. warm water
1 T. Vegetable Oil
2 T. Honey
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. bread flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 c. wheat gluten
1 1/2 t. active dry yeast

For bread machine: Add all ingredients to machine in order given and start on whole wheat setting. Makes a 1.5 lb. loaf.
For the oven: Combine ingredients in mixer fitted with dough hook. Stir until ingredients form ball. Remove and knead by hand on floured surface for about 1-2 minutes. Place in greased bowl and cover. Let rise for 1 hour. Shape dough into loaf shape by folding sides under and ends under. Place in greased loaf pan messy side down. Using back of hand, press dough into loaf pan. Cover and let rise one hour. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

No comments: