Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Runza Casserole


I live in Nebraska. The home of the Runza. For those of you who have never had a Runza...you are missing out. This is a great recipe for a Bierock (runza) casserole. I got the recipe from a friend.

Runza Casserole
1 lb. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 small onion, diced
3 c. shredded cabbage
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. shredded cheddar
1 pkg. crescent rolls

Preheat oven to 375. Brown meat. Drain. Add onion and cabbage. Simmer until very soft- this may take awhile. Add soup and stir well. Stretch 1/2 of one can of crescent rolls to cover 8x8 pan. Spread meat mixture on top. Sprinkle cheese. Stretch remaining crescent rolls to cover top. Bake as directed on roll package.
Greta's rating: She loved this! Actually, my 9 month old son loved this too!

6 comments:

Simply AnonyMom said...

I have not been in NE since 1995. I have thought of Runza's many times over the years. I tried to explain it to hubby (who is born and raised in WA) and he did not understand. Now with your recipe I can cook it for him! THis sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

Sounds wonderful. What a great week-night dish!

Maryanna said...

I haven't ever seen a casserole that pretty!!

dupster said...

I make this all the time, since the recipe was a contest winner in the Lincoln Journal Star years ago. It's a quick and easy way to get my Runza fix, so much easier than making bread dough, etc. etc. To make it a little lighter, I leave out the bottom crust, and just put crescent rolls on top. The new Recipe version of crescent rolls is great for this!

Anonymous said...

The REAL runzas don't have mushroom soup in them and they use real bread dough for the crust,,,,BUT this is nice for a quick easy meal and cheaper too! I only live about 4 - 6 blocks from a Runza restaurant in Lincoln, but I rarely go there....I like the quick fix of this casserole...

Unknown said...

I love runza casserole! I prefer it with cream of chicken soup rather than mushroom. Also, a great time saver is to use a bag of Cole slaw mix rather than cutting up a head of cabbage.