Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze

One of my favorite food blogs has to be Brown Eyed Baker. Her recipes are always top notch. What is better than pumpkin scones on a fall evening? I made these for the ladies Bible study group I am in. I replaced all of the cream from the original recipe with almond milk with fabulous results!

Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze
2 c. Flour
7 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. cloves
1/4 t. ginger
6 T. cold butter, cubed
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1 egg
3 T. almond milk

Combine dry ingredients and whisk. Cut butter into dry ingredients using pastry blender or forks until butter chunks are non longer visible. In separate bowl combine pumpkin, egg and milk and stir. Fold into dry ingredients. Shape into rectangle. Cut into three equal pieces. Cut and 'x' into each of the 3 pieces, making a total of 12 triangular pieces. Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes.

When cooled. Drizzle with Icing. Then drizzle with 2nd (spiced) icing.

Sugar Icing
1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. almond milk
Combine and whisk. Drizzle over scones.

Spiced Icing
1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. (or slightly less) almond milk
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
pinch of ginger
pinch of cloves
Combine dry ingredients. Add milk slowly and whisk until desired consistency. Drizzle over iced scones.

2 comments:

Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) said...

Mmmmm!! I love love love pumpkin scones! I've made a very similar recipe. Great idea to do them in smaller sizes. Definitely going to do that next time. :)

Lori said...

I can't wait to try this recipe soon! I think I can almost smell them baking in my kitchen already! I love the smell of fall flavors and spices. Thanks for sharing!!