Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Borscht



We received beets in our CSA box this week. I remembered seeing a recipe for Borscht in my Barefoot Contessa at Home Cookbook. This recipe is based loosely on hers. The whole family from my steak and potatoes husband to my 2 year old daughter loved this beautiful soup. I think this is one of my favorite colors and the soup was fabulous- it really tastes just like....summer!



Borscht

4-5 Beets
1 1/2 c. Chicken stock
1 c. vanilla (yes, vanilla) yogurt
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 T. white wine vinegar
1 t. fresh lemon juice
1 t. black pepper, freshly ground
1 T. salt
1/3 c. chopped green onion
1 T. chopped chives, plus more for garnish
2 c. chopped cucumber, plus more for garnish

In large stock pan cook beets in boiling, salted water for about 30 minutes. Remove beets from pan using slotted spoon. Strain cooking liquid and reserve 1 1/2 c. for soup.
In large bowl whisk stock, cooking liquid from beets, yogurt and heavy cream. Add lemon juice, vinegar, pepper and salt. Remove skins from beets using your fingers and chop. Add beets, cucumber, chives and onion. Chill for at least 4 hours.
Garnish with chives and cucumber. Serve cold.


2 comments:

Liz said...

I am *definitely* going to make this when I get some CSA beets this summer!

I have been to Russia and always wanted to make borscht at home.

Thanks!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I just recently gotten into beets and this looks beautiful and refreshing for summer!