Sunday, May 16, 2010

Light Oat Bread


This is a fabulous bread recipe!! I have made it with all AP flour and also with 2 c. AP, 1 c. Whole Wheat. The loaves were delicious both times. This is our favorite homemade bread to use for making grilled cheese sandwiches. I usually double this recipe...I figure if I'm going to go to the trouble to make fresh bread, I want at least two loaves from the deal! Here is the original, which is for a breadmachine, but I prefer the taste and shape of the loaves when cooked in the oven.
Light Oat Bread
1 1/4 c. warm water
2 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. yeast
2 T. butter
3 C. Flour (whatever combination floats your boat)
1/2 c. Oats
1 t. salt

In small bowl, combine the water, sugar, yeast and melted (and cooled) butter. Set aside for about 10 minutes. In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Whisk together. Pour water/yeast mixture into dry ingredients and stir with spatula until combined. Then knead for 10-15 minutes. Cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and transfer to bread pan. Cover and let rise until the dough is the same height as the pan. Bake at 350 for approx. 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

yum, sounds good! I will be trying this next week... thanks! :)