Saturday, May 15, 2010

Crispy BBQ Tofu Slices


Let me start by saying that I don't like Barbecue. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I am not crazy about meat. And meat attached to a bone is just plain scary to me! My husband and kids love barbecue sauce...and meat. I found this recipe on Allrecipes, I was excited! I love crispy tofu, but until now, my family has not had the same opinion. This recipe was such a hit that I had to double it to feed our family of 4. The little ones were fighting Daddy for the leftovers! This recipe was terrific and a new addition to our "regulars". I wouldn't recommend this recipe for the beginner cook as there are many steps. In the end- this is definitely worth all of the preparations.

Crispy BBQ Tofu Slices
1 (16 oz) pkg. extra firm tofu
3 T. EVOO
1 egg white
1 T. bbq sauce
1 c. AP flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 c. bbq sauce

Drain tofu, and slice into strips. Place in a plastic bag , and freeze overnight. This gives the tofu a meatier texture. Thaw tofu strips, and blot with paper towels to dry. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med. heat. In a small bowl, whisk the egg white and 1 tablespoon of barbecue sauce (I had to double this).

Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Dip the tofu slices into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture, Fry in the hot oil for about 1 minute on each side, until golden brown. You will have to do this in batches. Remove from the oil to paper towels to drain and cool.Preheat the oven's broiler. Brush tofu slices with additional barbecue sauce, and allow to marinate while the broiler heats up. Arrange them on a broiler pan. Broil for 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and crisp, watch closely so as not to burn them. Serve warm with the remaining barbecue sauce for dipping.

Greta and Miles rating: They absolutely LOVED this!!!

No comments: