Monday, October 12, 2009

Potato Leek Soup


I went to see Julie & Julia with my Mom, sister and very best foodie friend. We all thoroughly enjoyed the movie and my dear Mother recently made Julia Child's Potato Leek soup(Potage Parmentier) and insisted that I do so as well. This was delicious and very inexpensive! I served this soup with the Blackberry Glazed Salmon below, but it would have also been awesome served with some crusty bread.

Potato Leek Soup


1 lb potatoes, peeled & diced
1 lb leeks , chopped and rinsed
4 TBS unsalted butter
Salt & Pepper
4-6 TBS Heavy Cream
2-4 TBS minced chives
1. Simmer the potatoes and leeks in salted water (water should be about 2 inches above potatoes and leeks) for 40-50 minutes, until soft.
2. Puree the veggies (in water) with an immersion blender - I had to used a regular blender, but now an immersion blender is on my list. Add the butter in bits; then add salt & pepper to taste. Stir in cream.
3. Pour into soup bowls and sprinkle on chives
138 calories, 3 g protein.

1 comment:

Fresh Local and Best said...

This is a great recipe. Sometimes I just leave the chunks of potatoes in the soup not pureed for a rustic feel.