Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Raw chocolate macaroons


My husband and I have been trying to eat better. This is a great option for a dessert that is not as horrible for you as the typical baked goods we usually eat. I found this recipe on the super cool website Happy Foody. This recipe makes a TON of these delicious little guys. Sara from Happy Foody mentioned that she froze her macaroons because she doesn't have a dehydrator. I froze half of them and am saving the remaining dough (in the freezer) to put into the dehydrator next time. Any way, they are amazing frozen! This is a great recipe. I'll update when I have tried the dehydrated version, but I'm sure they'll be just as wonderful!

Raw chocolate macaroons

3 cups dried, unsweetened coconut flakes
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder (I prefer carob’s milder taste)
1 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup coconut butter or oil
1 T vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir well to combine. You can also use a standing mixer with the paddle attachment.

Using a small ice cream scoop, your hands, or a big tablespoon, spoon rounds of the dough onto dehydrator screens (or a plate/cutting board to freeze). Dehydrate for 12-24 hours at 115 degrees F…until crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside.

No comments: