Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cheddar Chipotle Scones

Seriously, what is better than a warm scone on a winter's day? These scones were fabulous! I can't believe they only have 3 tablespoons of butter! Next time I make these, I will use even more chipotle. The flavor was great, but I personally would have liked it even stronger. That being said, the kids loved these and they were not even close to being too spicy for them. This recipe is from Serious Eats. I could not believe how flaky these were, and I even subbed Greek yogurt for the sour cream! Try these, they would be fantastic with some spicy Italian sausage added.

Cheddar Chipotle Scones
2 c. AP Flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3 T. butter, cold and cut into small pieces

3/4 c. sour cream (I used Greek yogurt)
1/2 c. sharp shredded cheddar
1  minced chipotle pepper in adobo
1 T. water
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350.Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter using pastry blender or 2 forks, until resembles coarse crumbs. Combine sour cream, cheese, pepper, water and egg and mix well. Fold into dry ingredients mixing just until combined. Knead into 8" round slab and cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 15-25 minutes until golden.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Those look delish. I would make them right now but I don't have sour cream! I'm going to add these to next weeks menu plans